I had heard a lot about GoT. I had never watched any episode up until a couple of weeks ago, but I knew many of the characters and some of the plot line from Twitter and constant conversations. I have the books and I wanted to read those first before starting the TV series, but at the behest of someone, I decided to go ahead and watch it. After all, I had the complete series (Season 1 – 5). Before I go into my thoughts (and questions) about GoT, I’ll just say that if you haven’t watched it, you should.
Game of Thrones is (loosely) based on a book series by George R. R. Martin
The first thing you should know, if you decide to watch GoT, is that everybody dies. EVERYBODY. You’ll become accustomed to the phrase: “valar morghulis” which translates to “all men must die.” They take this very literally on GoT. So save yourself some heartbreak and tears and let it sink in: EVERYBODY DIES. When you start to love a character, get ready for his/her demise and if they don’t die, get ready to have high blood pressure, because they will always escape death, but barely, only to die later on. EVERYBODY DIES.
Okay, now that you’ve gotten that. In the beginning, it might be difficult to keep up with all the names and families, but before long you’ll catch a hang of it.
Things to note:
The Lannisters are the richest and possibly the most powerful family in Westeros (the medieval “country” GoT is set in). Westeros is ruled by a King/Queen. As at where the story picked up, it’s Robert of house Baratheon. He is married to Cersei of house Lannister. He’s a philandering drunk. He used to be noble and strong before the love of his life Ned Stark’s sister was raped and killed by one of Targaryens . He has three children who aren’t really his. They are Jamie Lannister’s childre. Jamie is Cersei’s brother. Robert won the throne by usurping the mad king a Targaryen. He fought with Eddard Stark (also referred to as Ned Stark) his best friend. Ned Stark is the Lord of Winterfell (which is basically the whole of the North) has 5 children including his bastard Jon Snow. His other children are Rob, Sansa, Recon, Arya and Bran. The head of the Lannisters is Tywin Lannister. Asides Cersei and Jamie, he has another son, Tyrion who is the family disgrace. His mother died while birthing him, he’s a dwarf (often referred to as the imp), also a philandering drunk, mostly no use in battle, but he’s very smart, reads a lot and has a very sharp mind. Their trademark is “a Lannister always pays his debts”. For the Starks (and basically all of Westeros who believe that the White Walkers exist) it’s “Winter is coming”. Another important family that you won’t see until around Season 3 or 4 is the House Tyrell.
House Targaryen was one of the most powerful houses until all their dragons died. There are only three people left, but one of them is in the Night’s Watch (the people that defend the North from wildings and WhiteWalkers. Mostly rapists and thieves, but also people with nowhere else to go and disgraced or banished Lords.) The other two are Daenerys Targaryen and her brother.
I really enjoyed the series. I watched all 5 seasons in about a week. Anytime I had my laptop out, I was watching GoT. I really like Daenerys. I really like how her character grew from a scared, docile girl to a strong, brave (but sometimes stupid) woman. She may be young, and stupid sometimes, but she’s very brave. My other favourite characters are Jon Snow and Tyrion Lannister. I don’t really know why I like Jon Snow. He’s just a very likable character. I think I’ve already mentioned why I like Tyrion.
Another thing to note: Almost everybody wants to sit on the Iron Throne
Random note: Lisa Aryn is mad
So, unto my questions after the end of Season 5.
1. WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT SEASON FINALE? WHAT THE FUCK? I would just like to begin Season 6 with the face of Jon Snow and definitely not as a White Walker.
2. Did Sansa and Theon/Reek survive that jump? I really hope they did and I hope she finds Brian of Tarth(?) before that psycho Ramsey Bolton finds them.
3. Can someone kill Littlefinger? Nothing will bring me greater joy. He’s such a slimy bastard. I don’t like him at all. Especially because of what he did to Ned, and well, everybody.
4. What happened to Robert Baratheon’s last bastard? Haven’t seen him since he escaped from the Lady Melisandre. And speaking of her, what happens to her and her “lord of light”.
5. What happened to Daenerys? Was she captured or did her dragon save her?
6. What happened to Recon and Osha. We haven’t seen them since they separated from Bran, Hodor and the gang?
7. What’s next for Arya Stark? and did the Hound really die?
8. Also, what happens to Cersei, the Tyrells and the High Sparrow? What was Cersei thinking giving him all that power? That was a very stupid move on her part and I knew it would come back to bite her in the ass,
9. Does Jamie discover that his daughter was poisoned? If yes, does he go to take revenge on the people of Dorne?
I think those are all my questions.
Do you watch Game of Thrones, what do you think about it so far? What are your predictions for Season 6.